Friday, March 27, 2009

Kuhio Day

Thank you prince Kuhio for being born and making March 27 a state holiday! Today (Thursday) we didn’t have any school! So Christina, Alecia, Britnee, Eric, David, Cody, Bo, Chris, Phil, Rachelle, Andres, and I went on a hike to Malaekahana Falls. It was a big group of people but we broke off into smaller groups as the hike commenced. It was a long and steep hike with a lot of mud towards the end. When we reached the top of the mountain we took pictures as people climbed a vertical log. I laughed so hard when Christina jumped off a stump, tripped, and bounced off her knees only to slide her face across the dirt. I love that girl. Climbing down to the falls was treacherous; to combat the muddy slop you had to grab onto the bamboo like trees for stability and to prevent you from jetting off the mountain. In my case the tree was a life saver when I slipped and swung like a pendulum and got mud smeared down my leg. I didn’t know until we reached the falls that we had hiked to the top of the falls and the only way to the bottom was jumping off the 17 foot cascade into the cool spring. I have never fallen from such a height before but with the mentality of “Life is either a daring adventure or nothing. Security is mostly a superstition. It doesn’t exist in nature" (Helen Keller), I jumped. I didn’t scream until I was about 2 feet above the water which is probably the reason why I swallowed about a buckets worth of water in my mouth and through my nose. Almost everyone jumped too, even Christina! Hiking back I ended up in a group I with Britnee, Eric, and Bo. We sang Disney songs almost the whole way down.

Not long after we were back in our Hale were we on the road again to Turtle Bay to play beach volleyball. Almost everyone on the hike was there minus Britnee, Eric, Phil, and Rachelle. We waited patiently for the net to free up while passing the ball around. When we were passing Christina, once again, full on tripped over a rope with both feet flying behind her as her body did a spread eagle impersonation, making a nice crash landing. This time she took down the entire group, everyone was on the ground laughing I almost pee’d my pants. When we finally got the net the hotel took it down, just my luck. It didn’t really matter because everyone was pretty exhausted from hiking and running in the sand. Christina and I went home and watched Kung Fu Panda in our room and relaxed our worn out bodies

No comments:

Post a Comment